Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bible Study SOAP

This is actually from the Live To Worship blog but I thought it was such a great way to think when you are studying so I am sharing it here.

Scripture, Observation, Application and Prayer.

Scripture: I need to be reading and writing out Scripture as it speaks to me.
Observation: I need to study and observe the who, what, when, why and make a note of any questions I might have.
Application: I need to think about how I can apply these new truths to my everyday life.
Prayer: And I need to pray that God will help me do so.

I've never kept an actual bible study notebook except for the one I use for notes that I take when I'm listening to a sermon but I think this might be a good idea for me. (or since my handwriting is so bad anymore maybe I need to be typing it!)

Does anyone else actually keep a notebook or prayer journal? I'd be interested to know if you do, how you do, and if it has been beneficial to you?

9 comments:

homer4k said...

Strangely enough, I started a prayer journal back in March. I would lose an actual notebook, so I use GoogleDocs - what a Christian nerd I am, ha ha. I write down the date, and what specifically I'm praying for. Some have been answered (not many) and when they are, I just mark them as ANSWERED (but I don't delete them, because it is good to remind myself of what GOD has done.)

Dee Martin said...

I like that idea. (both not deleting answered prayers and being a Christian nerd!!)

I have been thinking a lot about answered prayer lately.

Does answered prayer mean we got what we wanted or hoped for? Or do we mark it answered even when it is NOT what we wanted? Because I think God always answers somehow. I'm just not sure about the how...

homer4k said...

I think God answers prayer in 3 ways:

1) Yes
2) No - I have something better
3) Not yet

One instance in particular - God answered my prayer as No, I have something better. I didn't like His answer at first, but I've come to realize His way was better, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Dee Martin said...

I like that too! So what about the soap acronym. Do you have a particular way that you study or do you just open the Word and let it speak to you?

homer4k said...

I've never applied a sytematic way to study the Bible. I either have a specific book I'm reading, or sometimes just open it up and read from wherever.

The SOAP system would make me tend to focus more on the reading, i think - to think about it more. I'm going to try it and see how it works out.

Dee Martin said...

OK just to something to throw out there. I tend to just read too and I would like to get more focused PERIOD LOL

What if we do a study online - we can post about it here in the comments and anyone who would like to join can.

If you are interested pick a book and copy and paste the beginning verses to study in a new post with a note about this being an online anybody interested can jump in study and we can post discussion in the comments. When we are ready - we move to a new post, copy and paste the verses and again discuss in the comments and so on. Give it some thought and let me know. I'm game.

homer4k said...

I like that idea alot - it's very nerdy for a Christia, ha ha.

Pick a book, or lets do Philippians. That one comes to mind for some reason (rejoice!)

Dee Martin said...

Philippians it is - first chapter.

Marc said...

Good way to apply bible study