Saturday, May 24, 2008

An encounter with a missionary

Working in the hospital, I am fortunate to be able to come in contact with people from all walks of life. There are many interesting stories and people for that matter that I could go on and on about. It is amazing how true it is, that if you just take a few minutes to stop and talk to someone how much you can find out about a world that is outside your own little box. And it never fails, everytime that I stop and do this, which is not that often, when you have 20-25 people on your schedule to see during the day, that I am reminded by GOD just how special people are and how he is using them in this world.
Today, I was working with an elderly lady who has had a knee replacement and her son was visiting her and walking with us down the hall. I noticed that he had a logo on his shirt that referenced a ministry. So I simply asked if he was in the ministry and then the floodgates opened. He told me how he and his wife were evangelists and they went overseas, particularly in southeast Asia, for periods of times and worked in spreading the Gospel. He said that the majority of his work lately has been in India, Nepal, and most recently in Burma. In the areas where the government was strict on organized religion, his work was more covert and "underground". He told me that the news reports on the Burmese government was correct. He said that the cyclone that caused so much damage killed around 78,000 people and another 50,000 has yet to be accounted for. This unaccountability is based on the governments lack of regard for human life. The reports of delayed aid are true. He also said that since this area has been so consumed over the years with civil war, that the land mine threat is extraordinary. The Burmese government has implemented a solution to assist with clearing these landmines, that I am unaware if it has ever been reported on the news here in the U.S. The solution is this: They have groups of children go out into the fields unknowingly and inadvertantly trip the mines. This has created even more death as well as disabilities to innocent kids. He said the orphanages are full there and in need of much intervention, but again, help from the outside world is limited and has to be performed via methods that are covert. He told me that it is amazing to him still even after all his experiences how people can have so little regard for human life.
I think it goes without saying, that this family must be lifted up in prayer. I will not release his name for the sake of me never trusting even the most secure sights on the internet, but we can pray for all those people like he and his wife who put their lives on the line everyday for the sake of advancing the Kingdom of GOD.
What an eye opening, mind expanding conversation I had today. Can you imagine living in a place like that in the world? People may think we have it bad here sometimes and say well, this country does it better here, and if our kids lived in this country, then they wouldn't have this problem, etc. and etc. You know what I am talking about. That liberalist theology bullbutter that some of us get to hear now and then, both in the media and unfortunately at church sometimes. But let me just say this: If you think our kids have it bad here in the U.S., sounds like you need to go with that missionary and live in Burma for awhile.
Thank GOD, this country was founded on Christian theology. This conversation with this man gave me a little glimpse, that GOD is still using the United States as a spring board in the world to send missionaries out in all different ways to pronounce the Good News.

2 comments:

homer4k said...

God bless people like that man and his family. I will definitely keep them, as well as Sage and his family, in my prayers.

Dee Martin said...

I am always in awe of people who hear God's call and venture off to places that are not just far away geographically but that we find incomprehensible in terms of culture and perspective. I'll pray for this missionary, his family and the people he ministers to.