Sunday, June 1, 2008

Here's my SOAPy Philippians 1

Scripture: whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me.

Observation: it strikes me that in order to make disciples for Jesus Christ that our main focus whether it be in what we say or how we live should be just that - defending or confirming the gospel.

Assessment - I think that study of the Word is the most important tool for that and that's why I wanted to be more intentional about studying.
Prayer - I pray that God will show me how to discern HIs will in my life to bring HIm glory, through studying His Word, seeking Godly council, and prayer.

Scripture: And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, 11filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

Observation - I think there is something important here, in that Paul connects the growth of love with knowledge and depth of insight and the ability to discern what is best. It seems to me that he is saying that there is a natural progression here - as you gain knowledge and deeper perception you grow in love and as you grow in love, you gain discernment and as you gain discernment the natural outcome is fruit in your life.

Assessment - I am a believer and I know I will one day go home to be with Jesus, but if fruit is the yardstick that I am to use to measure my growth as a Christian then I need to work harder at learning more and not just once a week but everyday.

Prayer - I pray that God will keep me faithful to not just studying but being immersed in the Word and not just learning but doing so that here will be fruit and so that whatever my circumstances, others will see the gospel lived out in a way that it is confirmed or defended in my life.

Scripture: 15It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.[c] 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Observation: I am in awe of Paul's ability to feel this way. Maybe the lesson isn't about how and why others preach but in Paul's attitude about it. His attitude focuses Jesus and he doesn't let others' behavior divert his attention from that focus.

Assessment: I think that if I can have a tenth of that intense focus, then my life will be so much more than it is right now.

Prayer - I want to be so in love with Jesus Christ that I can't see the things that turn my attention away from the things of God. I want to study so that the words are in my heart and become a habit that I don't have to think about, and so that praise becomes like breathing. I pray that the Lord will walk me through it and teach me to live more joyfully and less whiny!

2 comments:

Robin said...

For those of you who don't know me, I'm BJ's little sister. Dee told me I could join in on this, so here are my quick two cents for chapter 2:

Scripture: vs 10. So that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earch.

Observation: The "every knee will bow" part is a reference to Isaiah 45:23 where God says "I have sworn by Myself, the word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness and will not turn back, that to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance." Clearly, Paul is attributing deity to Jesus and stating that Jesus is God in this passage in Philippians.

Assessment: There are many things Christians can disagree on with one another, but I think the Trinity is one of those doctrines that is foundational to the Christian faith. If you get it wrong, you are falling into numerous heresies that have been denounced by various church councils over the years. The Trinity may be a tough one to grasp (and we will never fully understand how God is three persons yet one God), but we are still to study it and trust it. Jesus is God.

Prayer: I ask that God will help me to study His Word (the Trinity in particular) and to REMEMBER it so that I can defend my faith if necessary. I tend forget what I have studied and come up short when I need to give an answer.

Dee Martin said...

Glad you jumped in. We have been moving slowly and we DO need to finish up and move to the next book. We will let you know soon as we pick one.

I like that reference - it never ceases to amaze me how things that are in the new testament were foreshadowed in the old. I makes you realize that you really can't take the book apart - it exists as a whole.