Wednesday, June 11, 2008

SOAP for Phil 3

Scripture: 7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ

Observation: After telling the Phil church to rejoice, and rejoice again, Paul is telling them how they may live that rejoicing - only through Jesus Christ, because nothing else can compare to knowing Him. In fact, he says that though he has lost everything else, knowing Christ surpasses that so much that it doesn't matter about his loss - Christ is everything and more.

Assessment: Do I consider the things I have lost for Christ as rubbish? Have i given up that much for Him? If not, why not? Would I be willing to give up more and count it all as gain if I have Christ?

Prayer: I pray that I will focus my life on Jesus, on who He is and what He has done for me, remembering that nothing else can compare to Him. I pray that I would gladly lose all things for the sake of knowing Christ.



Scripture: vs 12 through the end of the chapter.

Observation: Paul uses athletic imagery, making the Christian life as a race to be run. Live up to what you already have attained, and strive mightily for more. Plumb the depths of what it means to know Christ. He speaks to those who are mature (peeps who have been Christians for along time) and tells them that THEY need to think this way. Younger Christians are very passionate, but older ones (not speaking of age) can lose their zeal for Christ, their first love. Paul warns against that, and very emphatically says God will reveal their error to them. Then he tells the Phillipians to follow his example. We all need people to model our behavior on (mentors in Christ) - so follow Paul's example and the example of other people who live accordingly. And always remember that we await something glorious - our Savior, who is working in us to transform us so we resemble Him. And someday, we will be transformed completely.

Assessment: Sometimes i run out of steam in this race. But I am filled up again when I go to Jesus - I need Him more and more. I've been a Christian for almost 9 years now, and I find myself lately WANTING to know Christ so much more. As for examples to follow, I have several, but not only that, I think it should be my goal to be an example for someone else to follow - i want to be able to say in truth, like Paul, that someone should follow my example. Is my walk worth following? Many times, not so. But i want to keep my eyes on the prize, so to speak. the prize being Jesus Christ - our ultimate goal in life.

Prayer: Revive me, Jesus. Give me the want, the hunger for you. Make me conform to you so that someone may look at me and see Christ Himself. I pray that in times of discouragement you would remind me that this world is not everything - the prize, the goal, the Life is yet to come. But You will come. I have faith in that.

1 comment:

Dee Martin said...

Amen - now that's a sermon!