Sunday, June 1, 2008

SOAP Breakdown of Phillipians Ch. 1 (are we supposed to do it this way?)

Scripture (that speaks to me):
vs 2: Grace and peace to you
Observation: Can't have peace without Grace
Assessment: In order to have more peace with situations, we need to extend more Grace
Prayer: I need to pray that I show more Grace in all situations

vs 1-6: Paul thanking GOD everytime he remembers the special people at Phillipi. GOD started a good work within the believers and is going to see it thru until Christ's return.
Observation: We need to take time to remember and thank GOD for those special believers that have played a role in our journey
Assessment: I do not take the time that I should during my prayers to think of those people
Prayer: I will plan on taking time to remember those people.

vs 9-11: love will be evident by your knowledge and insight as well as your discernment.
Observation: Those that seem to have good discernment about things tend to be more loving. That is at least my observation.
Assessment: I think if we as believers will study GOD's word more then we become more knowledgeable in GOD's ways and realize how much he loves us. Then we will be able to "tap into" spiritual discernment more and start to be able to "spread the love" more.
Prayer: We need to pray for more love, more fire to study his word, and more discernment.

vs 12-14: Paul was in prison for preaching the Gospel. The byproduct was people were becoming more bold in sharing their faith as well because of his example.
Observation: I have yet or do not know anyone that has had this type of persecution.
Assessment: Isn't it a blessing that this type of persecution does not happen to us here like it did in the early church.
Prayer: We should pray for the persecuted church world wide. It still is going on. We should pray that we Americans realize that our world is not the only world.

vs 15-18: Some people preach the Gospel to satisfy their ego. Paul basically says, that is unfortunate, but at least Christ is being proclaimed.
Observation: I have witnessed people speak in the pulpit that seem to pad their ego.
Assessment: It is a shame that some people view speaking for GOD more about speaking about themselves.
Prayer: As Paul says, either way, Christ is preached. But I wondered if he thought that those doing it out of envy, rivalry, or selfish ambition were stumbling blocks to people coming to know Christ.

vs 20: Paul hopes for courage within context of his situation that no matter what happens, he will exalt Christ in life or death.
Observation: Again, have you ever been presented with a situation that calls for life or death courage that could or could not exalt Christ?
Assessment: I do not know if I have the courage.
Prayer: My prayer is that if that ever happened, that I would have the courage to stand up for Christ.

vs 21-22: Paul says when I die, I will see Christ, if I live, I will bear fruit for Christ.
Observation: A good way to live your life.
Assessment: As a believer, I am sure that when I die, I am Glory bound. But I need to bear more fruit.
Prayer: My prayer is that GOD will direct me to ways in which I can bear fruit for him.

vs 28: he encourages the people to stand firm and to not be frightened of those that oppose the message.
Observation: Again. I have not been in that situation.
Assessment: Thank GOD, for the USA
Prayer: Can't say it enough, we need to pray for those Christians being persecuted worldwide.

vs 29: there will be suffering for the advancement of the Gospel
Observation: Do I need to say anymore
Assessment: Really? I haven't suffered like the early church.
Prayer: Thank GOD there are people laying it on the line for Christ.

2 comments:

Dee Martin said...

wow - this is outstanding! This is great. I haven't put the time in that I want to - and I will get back into it as soon as I can get through tomorrow! I want to read over yours again. This is exactly what I am wanting to do and you have given a great example for me - thanks!

homer4k said...

Marc - way to go buddy! I second Dee's comment about not putting in as much time on this as i wanted to yet - and you have done an excellent job of using the SOAP method. Wow - awesome!!!