Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Philippians 4

I'm actually reading a book on verse 11 right now called The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs. I just haven't gotten very far into it yet though.

Scripture

vs 10-19

But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me. Indeed you were concerned before but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means and I also know how to live in prosperity. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Nevertheless you have done well to share with me and my affliction and you yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel after I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone, for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs, not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account. But I have received everything in full and have an abundance, I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice well pleasing to God and my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Observation

After becoming a Christian, Paul had a pretty rough life. Beatings, shipwrecks, disease, being thrown in jail. But he learned something that made him be able to endure all those hardships. He learned to be content. How was it that he learned this? I think it is that Paul understood God's sovereignty and providence and trusted that whatever he was experiencing at the moment was exactly what God had planned for him. Paul knew God was in charge and would orchestrate events in order to fulfill His purposes.

Application

If anything, I think it is an encouragement to me that Paul learned contentment. If Paul could learn it, maybe I can, too. It might be hard, but I know it would be worth it to be content in the Lord. I know it isn't something I can learn on my own though, but through study and prayer, hopefully God will provide me with more contentment.

Prayer

Father, teach me to be content like Paul. Let me not be swayed by my circumstances but fully put my trust in You. I ask that you would use the book I am reading on contentment to help me in this area of my life.

1 comment:

Dee Martin said...

I never thought about contentment as being something Paul learned! This gives me something to think about - thanks for this!