Sunday, March 23, 2008

Luke 2 Notes

Intro Info written by an educated man - physician
education shows in the language, details, and clarity
Insights into the life and humanity of Jesus
Written to the gentiles (Greeks)
Shows Jesus as the Son of Man
Chapters 1 thru 4 - Son of Man Coming
Chapters 5 thru 21 - Son of man Career
Chapters 22 thru 24 - Son of Man Cross

Luke 2
Only info we have on Jesus boyhood
Other books not included in the Bible we know tell stories of Jesus miracles during boyhood but John 2:11 say Jesus first miracle was turning water to wine at the wedding

The story of Jesus mother and step-father going to Jerusalem from Galilee for the Passover pilgrimage that all Jews were expected to make. Jesus was 12 - (significant age in the Jewish faith)
The people would travel with the women and children at the front and the men bringing up the rear. Because of his age Jesus could have been with either group. They didn't realize till the first night that Jesus wasn't with either of them. What they did then is what we should all do. They returned to the last place they had Jesus. (Movie Home Alone - hey Mom? hey dad? hey Jude? haha)

Revelations 2 letter to Ephesus
2I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. 3You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. 4Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. 5Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place

The church was active, doing all kinds of ministry, remained faithful - but they left their first love - Jesus

We get busy and head to places assuming Jesus is with us - and the world, work, our families put priorities on us

Joseph and Mary went back to where they last had Jesus - the Temple.

Jesus was truly a man of priorities - all of the needs that existed, the requests put upon Him - there were only three things that Jesus said "I must" about. (three time in the gospel)

48 So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.”
49 And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”

Luke 4:43 (New King James Version)
New King James Version (NKJV)

43 but He said to them, “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent.”

13
Nevertheless I must journey today, tomorrow, and the day following; for it cannot be that a prophet should perish outside of Jerusalem. (to the cross)

Jesus understood pressures but He knew He had only these three things from His Father that He HAD to do.

Phillipians 3
Paul also had priorities
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Don't live in the past clinging to past sins or living off past victories

Matthew 11

28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

We get lists of ten things from Oprah or Phil, pressures from friends, job, family, whatever. If we simplify to what is truly necessary it gets boiled down to Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

No comments: